Monday, July 11, 2011

Knowing you Did the Right Thing

Over the course of the past year many relationships have ended in my life. Some by choice and some by just growing apart. Growing apart I think it a natural part of life, life takes us in different directions, we get busy and so on. If the relationship was important it would have out lasted all of that. This is a very important observation as I prepare to move to a new place where there aren't any deeply rooted relationships. I am leaving them all here. I know that the ones that matter will quickly out shine those that will fall to the wayside in life. Paul and I have made a few predictions about this. We shall see how it turns out.

The other type of relationship ending is choosing to end a relationship. I have done this a handful of times recently. It is really difficult for me to do. I have learned though when relationships aren't life giving, they aren't worth nourishing. When a relationship becomes life sucking it's time to let it go. I don't know if it's just me, but I find it really hard to do. It is almost impossible to do with out hurting someone's feelings.

That all refers to real life.

Then you add in all this social media. Recently I thinned out my friends and followers lists on facebook and twitter respectively. People often will miss use social media to hide like cowards behind their computer screens. They say things they would never have the guts to say in actual life or maybe they would in the case of those I don't know if real life.

My point is, by thinning out these lists recently I am actually enjoying the use of social media again. I don't sign in to facebook and get stupidly bent out of shape over internet words. Twitter is tolerable. While thinning them out is good, I also have to keep in check how much I allow these sites and their various users to matter in my life.

What I do know is that I was iffy if I wanted all those follower and friend counts to drop. It was the right thing to do. I feel a certain amount of freedom. I also know that as I move, entering into this new phase in my life, a lot of social media is going to slowly fade out of my life. There simply won't be time to creep on facebook or twitter.

Today I am grateful for the affirmation I have found in this decision.
May you be blessed with real life outside of social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment