Thursday, May 27, 2010

Uncontrolable, Tears. of. Joy.

If you know me you know that I have been passionate about change in Africa since shortly after I was married in 2004. If you don't know me, now you know. My heart was pulled to the plight of African children orphaned by the AIDS crisis. Then I learned of LRA and then the genocide in Darfur. Then I traveled to Burundi where I met the Batwa people. In Uganda I met the street children and orphans. I met amazing people all along the way that are there fighting for their kids and people. I met people who honestly asked for help. I heard their stories in person.

I support a few groups who are working toward the end of all of these things. I send letters and what not. I pray. This morning I received and e-mail from The Invisible Children. Through their hard work and many other groups hard work a bill has been signed. It is the LRA disarmament bill. As I read the little story they posted on their blog I cried uncontrollable tears of joy.

I watched their movie a few years ago. While I watched it I wept. The most amazing thin though is they didn't stop at their film. The have been lobbying ever since making their film. They have recruited people from all over to help get their voice heard. I am absolutely amazed by their dedication and sheer will to get this done.

I know in my heart that this has been a long process and still is just a start. Signing and action are two very different things.

I am forever grateful to the trail blazers who take on seemingly impossible tasks and refuse to give up. I am inspired. I am in awe. I send my sincerest congrats to the folks at The Invisible Children.

Let my prayer today be one of gratitude for inspiration. One of gratitude for hard work for human rights. One of gratitude to be able to see a glimmer of the good in the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment