Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Water

When I was in Africa nearly 3 years ago I met a group of people who lived in grass huts, owned no shoes and had to walk nearly 8 miles to the nearest water source. They would have about 4 ounces of water per person to last four days. That is about an ounce a day. It forever changed how I looked at water. As summer is fast approaching and we prepare our yard and lives for summer enjoyment I was thinking about how much water we use. Yesterday we had a power washer going, the washing machine and the dishwasher. All I could think was the things we take for granted. I used hot water to clean out a pot. We all showered. We had plenty to drink. I am sure we wasted some. Our toilets flushed. Pools got filled. Sprinklers run. Water Water Water Water... it's everywhere and ready to use. If you, like myself, were born into a privileged American lifestyle. If the circumstances of your birth were different and you happened to be born in rural Africa, India or parts of Asia or even South America and probably a bunch of places I am not aware of.

I appreciate water a lot more especially on a day like today where triple H's and 90 degree temperatures are predicted. I have always been someone who didn't waste water, something my dad instilled in me really young. Yet I feel tremendous guilt when I really think about all the water we use. I wish there was a way to send it to people who need it. A pipe line of clean water.

Today I am grateful for clean water.
I hope you are blessed with clean water.

No comments:

Post a Comment