Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Inclusive Language

In Seminary you have to use inclusive language. I am familiar with these ideas and the terminology and the thought behind it. Basically we never call God he, father or anything masculine. I learned this week though that we aren't supposed to you Lord or King. King I can kind of understand but Lord is jarring. I like to use the term Lord. I know that it alludes to oppression but I do see myself as a servant and not in an oppressive way. So I guess my question is how do you when to stop with all this language stuff?

On a totally different note, I rather enjoyed our Native People's worship time today. Not only did it honor a small part of my heritage it felt more organic and natural to me.


Today I am grateful for the opportunity to meet God on my own terms. Also to be in a place where we get to debate things like language.


May you be blessed with the experience of meeting God where you are at.

1 comment:

  1. i hear your concerns. Coming from the other side i have for a while now worship My Lady not My Lord. It felt awkward at first (despite my holding a female veiw of God) but as i grow in it, it feels more and more natural. I say to each their own-however feels right.

    ReplyDelete