Thursday, October 14, 2010

Judgment

We all do it. We someone we don't even know and our mind races with judgment. We pull our purses a little closer or walk a little faster sometimes. Maybe sometimes it's just instinct which is probably a good thing. We need to be intuitive when we could be in harms way. However, if you are anything like me you probably do it with out even noticing. I wonder how many of my judgments have denied me the chance at a good friendship?

For me a lot has to do with how people dress. I am not a fashionista. I am not looking for some name brand label. I judge nearly everyone I see that dresses like a thug. That is just one judgment I make. Usually in my head I think seriously, how is any one every going to take you seriously if you dress like that. Or you have a kid grow up you are too old to have your pants circling your thighs rather than your behind.

There are plenty of others too. I guess my point is I wonder what would happen if I suspended judgment? What if everyone did? Would the world be a better place?

I guess I am just reflecting on how easily those judgments come for me. I know my faith calls me to something different. So just some thoughts. Share yours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, and I do it too. Probably more than you do. I hate that about myself and society as a whole. I just don't know how to shake it. It's so natural to form an opinion about someone at first sight. I don't know if it's a protective instinct or a superiority complex. Either way I don't like it, and I always try to take a step back right after the insta-judgment and think about how I could be wrong. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete