Friday, February 25, 2011

Wrong?

Do you ever find yourself wondering what if you have it all wrong? What if you are supposed to be a party planner or teacher, not a scholar or theologian? Or where ever else seminary might lead. I mean to be completely honest with out having to deal with insane and spoiled people, party planning would be an awesome gig for me. Why then take the harder route?

I guess because it isn't about the money. I do not desire status symbols like a car or a fancy house. Recently I have been toying with the idea of never buying a house. A car is a car it's purpose is to get me from point A to point B not to be flashy and impress people around me. If they are my family in theory they already love me, like I guess is optional, and if they are my friends they are choosing me. Surely a real friend wouldn't judge me based on what I am driving and if they are then they aren't my friend are they. So much of life in the US is about status symbols and I see that and I kind of hate it. It's like living for someone else. I know Paul and I have a unique world view. It becomes evident anytime we have a conversation about such things. Last weekend some one said to me that old adage you should never talk religion or politics. I said but religion is my life's work so while you talk about your job this is my job. Not to mention I should have said, we need to talk about religion more because that will lead to understanding. Has there ever been a time where we needed to understand each other more?

All that said, I do hope to bring in some money when I am done with school. Does that making me a hypocrite? I don't know. I am just saying I would be lying to you if I didn't say that my hope is that completing the Master's Degree would lead to some sort of gainful employment.

I wonder if my daughter will gain my lack of desire of material things, or just hate me for it?

Today I am grateful for how I see the world, however unpopular that view is and how unpopular it makes me.
May you be blessed today to see the world in your own way, in a way that isn't dictated by your family, friends or the general culture around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment