Saturday, July 16, 2016

A Celebration

Tonight nearly 1500 miles away at my home church there is a celebration of a decade of ministry with a group called Girls ONLY. This ministry was my baby back in 2005, like all things ministry related it took more than me to make it happen, and I am grateful for a co-leader who is still there leading this ministry for young girls.

The idea behind this ministry was to teach young women to believe and celebrate that they are made in the image of God, imperfections and all. I was asked to write a reflection about my time with "GO" and wrote about how I had dreamed of a ministry that I wish someone would have had for me at that age. As a woman it is my responsibility to help lift up and not put down other women, especially young women.

There are somethings I would do differently now with more life experience and a stronger feminist theology. Perhaps one day I will be in a place where I could lead this type of ministry again, it is so very important for our young girls who see nonstop images of perfection thanks to the ease of computer manipulation to photos. Tonight my spirit joins them all in celebrating and my prayer is for many more years of girls learning to love who they are and grow into who God is calling them to be.

Today I am grateful for a church that supported my dream and me. If it weren't for things like this and children's theatre ministry I wouldn't be a pastor today. I am grateful for a church that is willing to dream and experiment and to equip leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment