Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Contemplative Photography

This week I have opted to take all classes that engage my inner artist and creative rather than my academic self. I do not know if this will make me a better pastor but it will help me to become a better follower of Jesus. Today the theme for my photography walk was worthy. I took a lot of pictures because when I go out for a walk with my camera I am struck by nearly everything I see. I challenged myself to photograph something vast because I tend to be so detail oriented and introspective. I took about 30 pictures and then had to choose just one to share. This is the one I shared today.
You are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God.
I never imagined that I would take a picture of a part of me. Those lapping waves just called my name over and over and I couldn't resist putting my feet in. As the water washed over them I was reminded of my baptism, the washing away of all that is imperfect, even if there was a bit of sediment in the water. My tattoo says peace which was not lost on the instructor. As I let the water roll in and as I played with the camera, "You are fearfully and wonderfully made" came into my thoughts, followed by "in the image of God". This is something I have taught on for some time both as a pastor and as a lay leader to young girls.
This is something that I often find difficult to believe to be true for myself. I guess we teach and preach what we most need to hear and believe. Over the years there have been moments when I have made peace with my body which rarely feels wonderfully made. Last fall I cried as I accepted my body a little more as I took communion at Why Christian?. This summer though I have really been at odds with it, even trying to work through a daily guide to better body image and radical self love, after a lot of the muck got stirred up. I do not love this book, sometimes it makes me roll my eyes, but I am determined to see it through. I have been noticing certain things more like the proclivity of women to talk negatively about their bodies, I noticed I rarely say it, I just think it. I am not sure that is much better. Today though for a moment I heard the voice of God telling me, you are my beloved child, perhaps there I was finding worthy the most unlikely of things, my dirty feet.

Today I am grateful for this moment of grace with myself and God. I am grateful for the chance to just walk with my camera and see the world anew again. 

Here are a few more shots from today:
These boots were just in the hallway begging to be photographed.


Look Closely



Playing with light.

No comments:

Post a Comment